It’s really hard to start something new. You are used to what is… but then again “what is” feels like there’s always something missing… something you’d get if you started something new. You are used to what works… but then again “what works” doesn’t really work… and if you started something new, maybe what doesn’t really work would start to work. You are used to normal… but then again, “normal” shouts at you that it isn’t quite what normal ought to be… and if you started something new, maybe that would become “normal” like now’s normal could never be.
The thing that makes getting connected to God so hard is that fact that He is invisible and inaudible. Every other relationship we have is with someone that we see and hear. Even when someone moves away and you can’t hear or see them every day, the letters and emails help the connection stay strong because you have seen and heard them before. This observation about our relationship with God is part of what we call the “mystery” of God.
The Good News
The good news is that despite the mystery aspect, God is very much real and very much present in each of our lives. We see His activity each day.
- His handiwork is on display in creation; all that He has made declares that He is and that He loves. Psalm 97:6 says “the heavens declare His righteousness, and all the people have seen His glory.”
- His handiwork is on display in the course of human events; many have called history: HIS STORY. In Acts 17:26-27 we read “God made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, that they would seek God.”
- His handiwork is on display whenever one person begins to follow God. Second Corinthians 3:16 says “whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil covering their heart is taken away.”
The hardest step in connecting with God is taking that first blind step into the unknown. Crossing over into belief and trust has uncertainties because you’ve never been there before. But once you take the first step, you will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.
The good news is that God is ever-present and ready to help you take that first step and each step after that. He is ready with open arms to receive you when you take that step. In fact, He didn’t wait for you to take the first step towards Him… rather he took the first step towards you. God came down to this earth to come find you. Jesus tells this story:
“The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking fine pearls, and upon finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.” (Matthew 13:44-46)
He is the merchant… the treasurer hunter. You are the treasure… the valuable pearl. He gave all that He had, His life, to buy you and get you for Himself. He loves you and values you and wants you and leaves heaven to come here and win you over. With a loving God like that, how could we not step out to come get Him!?!
How Do I Do It?
A simple, genuinely heart-felt conversation with God is all you need. There are no magic formulas or complex words. It is simply a honest request:
- God I believe you are here with me right now
- I believe that you sent Your Son Jesus to this world to find me and bring me to You.
- I believe that He died on the cross to free me from the guilt of all that I have done wrong.
- I believe You brought Him back to life three days later and that you will give me eternal life.
- I am sorry for all the time I wasted by ignoring You.
- I am sorry for all the wrong decisions I made.
- I want you in my life.
- I want to follow You and learn from You.
- Come in to my life, Jesus.
Now there are many ways that can help you grow deeper in your friendship with God.
- Pray to Him: talk with God about what’s going right and what’s going wrong. Ask Him for help and encouragement.
- Read the Bible: this is the best way to listen to God. Start in Matthew, Mark, Luke or John. We’d be glad to send you a free Bible. Contact us and we’ll get it to you quickly!
- Worship alongside others: being with a bunch of people headed the same direction is a huge help on your spiritual journey. Find out more about our gatherings.
Let Us Know!
Let us know about the decision you made. We’d be so glad to pray for you on your spiritual journey!